Aging comes with many challenges and the way to stay healthy and fit changes as you get older. Doing the same things you did when you were a lot younger will not be as helpful, so it is important to learn about your body and what it needs to stay healthy. Staying healthy and fit is possible, here are some ways that you can do that as you age.
Taking Care of Your Physical Health
- Choose the Right Workout – Choosing an activity that best fits your needs and abilities is so important, because you want to choose a workout that you can do safely and effectively. A few options for workouts could include water aerobics, chair yoga, resistance band workouts, Pilates, walking, and strength training.
- Prevent Injuries – It is important to understand that as you get older, the risk of injury during physical activity increases. Take precautions to prevent major injuries.
- Warm up on an elliptical or bike, this will warm up your muscles before doing your workout.
- Try a simple stretching routine or even yoga to maintain flexibility and decrease the risk of injuries.
- Be Active More Frequently – The CDC recommends that adults 65 and older need at least 150 minutes (about 2 and a half hours) of physical activity a week. To achieve that, you could exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes each day.
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep – A good night’s sleep will result in a plethora of health benefits, and sleep is even more of a priority as we age. Sleep helps improve concentration and memory, and it also gives your body time to restore and repair and improves your immune system.
- Eating healthy foods can promote good overall health and can prevent health issues like diabetes and heart disease. Here are a few tips for incorporating more healthy foods into your diet.
- Eat more high-fiber foods like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Try to avoid fried foods as much as possible.
- Stay hydrated and continue drinking fluids during the day.
- Add in sources of vitamin D like low-fat milk or other drinks with vitamin D and calcium.
Taking care of your health should be a priority no matter what age you are. Maintaining your health looks different for everyone and changes as we get older. It is more than okay if you are not able to keep up with your physical health as much as you did when you were younger but finding what works for you now is the most important thing.
The team at Eco Medical Equipment is here to help! If you have questions about our products or services, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.