If you’ve never heard of Australian Medical Grade Sheepskin, today is your lucky day. This is a game-changer when it comes to the prevention and healing of pressure sores and open wounds – even those that are difficult to heal. In this blog, we’ll explain the benefits of sheepskin, specifically medical grade sheepskin, and in what ways it can improve your daily life.
Medical Grade vs. Regular Sheepskin
Medical sheepskin products are made from real sheepskins, still attached to the hide. They also have a high density of wool fibers compared to regular sheepskin. One of the biggest differences between the two is the fact that medical-grade sheepskin can withstand frequent washing and lasts much longer. This is the ideal product compared to regular sheepskin when it comes to reducing pressure and providing low friction.
Some of the Many Benefits
- Air flow: Sheepskin has a way of allowing air to flow over the skin, providing ventilation and breathability that normal fabrics don’t provide.
- Counters bacterial germination: Pressure points are often a hot spot for bacterial contagions. The wool fibers on sheepskin counter this, which lowers the chances of your pressure points turning into sores or blisters.
- Absorbs moisture: Many individuals deal with consistent sweating, especially when laying on a comfortable and warm fabric. Sheepskin absorbs that uncomfortable sweat which keeps your skin dry and moisture-free.
- No friction: Normal fabrics cause friction on the skin, but irritating friction is not an issue with sheepskin.
- Soft and springy: Pressure sores are caused when there’s prolonged pressure on certain areas of the body, leading to irritation. Wool fibers are composed in a way that weight can be evenly distributed across the body, preventing bed sores.
How To Use Sheepskin
Sheepskin can be used for a variety of reasons, some of which aren’t even medical. For example, you can use sheepskin in your newborn’s crib for ultimate comfort and body temperature control. Here are some other ways you can use sheepskin:
- Arthritis: Sheepskin is great for reducing pain and maintaining body temperature. The temperature benefits allow for increased blood flow to the joints, reducing inflammation and reducing pain.
- Edema: Wearing sheepskin boots or wraps can increase blood flow which reduces edema swelling.
- Contracture: It’s common for those with contractures to deal with their fingernails digging into the palm of their hand. Palm protectors made of sheepskin prevent this from happening and absorb any moisture on the hands.
- Bed Sores: As previously mentioned, sheepskin allows for pressure reduction on bony areas of the body and reduces moisture build-up.
- Diabetic Wounds: Sheepskin boots can absorb moisture and increase blood flow, creating an environment for ideal wound healing which is more difficult for diabetics.
Now that you’re aware of the many benefits that medical-grade sheepskin has to offer, it’s time to check out our online catalog to find the products that are right for you. From bed pads to heel protectors, we have the Australian Sheepskin Apparel products to ease your symptoms and improve your quality of life. Contact us with any questions!
The team at Eco Medical Equipment is here to help! If you have questions about our products or services, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.